How to port uclibc to Windows CE

David Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Tue Feb 8 14:56:24 UTC 2011

	I am not specifically familiar with Windows CE. But I have done lots of
cross platform work with windows.  Ignoring tangents like the Windows
Posix subsystem and Cygwin, normal windows - microsoft's C libraries
provides a significant portion of POSIX support.  The critical problem
is that windows developers almost univerally use the Windows specific
API's over the more portable POSIX API's.
	In general it is not very hard to write code that will compile and run
on both windows and *nix. The hard part is keeping software developers
from using CreateFile() rather than the more portable fopen() and other
similar choices when there is no good reason for selecting the Windows
specific API over the portable one.
	I have managed two major product suites that had to work cross platform
(Windows, Linux, OpenBSD, OSX), that had numerous applications,
services, even device drivers, and the only hard part was keeping the
windows developers from running amuk.
	Neither porting uClibc to windows nor approaches like Cygwin resolve
that.

--
Dave Lynch                                                  DLA Systems
Software Development:                                    Embedded Linux

direction."
Albert Einstein