`utime(2)' marked as legacy under linux

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 18 21:10:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 01:46:27PM +0200, Peter Mazinger wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 18:14:37 +0200
> > Von: Giuseppe Scrivano <gscrivano at gnu.org>
> > An: Bernhard Reutner-Fischer <rep.dot.nop at gmail.com>, "Peter Mazinger" <ps.m at gmx.net>
> > CC: uclibc at uclibc.org
> > Betreff: Re: `utime(2)\' marked as legacy under linux
>
> > Thanks for your comments.
> >
> > Is the following patch ok?
>
> not really, utime is obsolete in SuSv4 (and the utime.h header as well)
> utimes was legacy in SuSv3 but was "reenabled" in SuSv4

On what are you basing this information? I can't find utimes in SUSv4
at all? It seems to have been completely removed. The non-obsolete
functions are "futimens" and "utimensat", declared in sys/stat.h.

Wait, "utimes" is also in the documentation for the above, under the
XSI option, but it does not appear in the ToC. I suppose this is an
error. In any case, I think only "futimens" and "utimensat" should be
used, especially since they're the only ones which can access the full
nanosecond precision.

Rich