problem exiting with iftop

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Apr 11 15:53:43 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

Russell> I am using iftop on a mipsel device (Netgear WGT634U, though
Russell> I've seen it on an mips Accton MR3201A as well) with openwrt,
Russell> which uses uClibc 0.9.32-rc2-git
Russell> 9112a2398ec58b32cd1a1c6feae195bd8f9a46a2 plus some patches
Russell> (https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/toolchain/uClibc).
Russell> The iftop program uses the pthread library and ncurses.  The
Russell> outward symptoms are that when I try to quit, either by
Russell> typing 'q' or ctrl-C, iftop tends to abort instead of exit
Russell> normally, leaving the terminal session frozen.

Russell> I have an strace of this:

Russell>   http://personaltelco.net/~russell/strace-iftop.log

Russell> I've tried a newer checkout of uClibc (post rc3) and I'm
Russell> still seeing this.  Sometimes it exits normally once (i've
Russell> seen it happen twice) after a reboot, but subsequent exits
Russell> Abort pretty reliably.

Russell> I have consulted nbd about it, but he's not sure.  I've tried
Russell> running it in a remote-gdb without any substantial insight
Russell> (wrapped in gdbserver, the terminal session recovers), though
Russell> I never seem to hit the signal handler for SIGRT_0.  Any
Russell> suggestions?

We resolved this problem by compiling uClibc with HAVE_FORCED_UNWIND off.

seniorr at aracnet.com