problem exiting with iftop

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 7 19:43:32 UTC 2011

I am using iftop on a mipsel device (Netgear WGT634U, though I've seen
it on an mips Accton MR3201A as well) with openwrt, which uses uClibc
0.9.32-rc2-git 9112a2398ec58b32cd1a1c6feae195bd8f9a46a2 plus some
patches (https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/toolchain/uClibc).  The
iftop program uses the pthread library and ncurses.  The outward
symptoms are that when I try to quit, either by typing 'q' or ctrl-C,
iftop tends to abort instead of exit normally, leaving the terminal
session frozen.

I have an strace of this:

  http://personaltelco.net/~russell/strace-iftop.log

I've tried a newer checkout of uClibc (post rc3) and I'm still seeing
this.  Sometimes it exits normally once (i've seen it happen twice)
after a reboot, but subsequent exits Abort pretty reliably.

I have consulted nbd about it, but he's not sure.  I've tried running
it in a remote-gdb without any substantial insight (wrapped in
gdbserver, the terminal session recovers), though I never seem to hit
the signal handler for SIGRT_0.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

seniorr at aracnet.com