Problems with pthreads in a chroot?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Oct 13 21:45:18 UTC 2010

  On 08/10/2010 20:34, Ed W wrote:
>  Hi, having some further problems (which I think existed also with
> 0.9.30.1) where any attempt to call pthread_create() is returning
> EAGAIN...
>
> This only happens when running in a (32bit) uclibc chroot, chroot
> itself running under a 64bit gentoo hardened glibc on 2.6.32 kernel
> with pax/grsec/vserver/aufs patches. I don't see anything in the host
> log files

I traced the workaround to either disabling PAX_MPROTECT in the host
kernel, or calling "paxctl -m" on the test binary (was expecting to need
it on the library instead?)

Can anyone shed some light on why creating a pthread (old linux threads)
on 0.9.30.1 / 0.9.31 should be tickling mprotect?

Thanks

Ed W