Building uClibc-0.9.32-git with Buildroot (was uClibc with NPTL on ARM buildroot)

Austin Foxley austinf at cetoncorp.com
Mon May 17 14:30:53 UTC 2010

On 05/13/2010 04:08 PM, Nicholas Walton wrote:
> On Sun Apr 4 14:26:40 UTC 2010, Austin Foxley wrote:
>
>> We recently made some changes on the nptl branch that breaks the way buildroot
>> builds uClibc. Until we patch buildroot (or revert the change in uClibc), you'll
>> want to use an older revision of the nptl branch to build in buildroot.
>
>> 39548d72297a8c3d8d55e04b8240e4ce09913a82
>> Snapshot:
>> http://git.uclibc.org/uClibc/snapshot/uClibc-39548d72297a.tar.bz2
>
> Approximately what changes to buildroot are needed? Failing that,
> which changes to uClibc are involved?

Khem would know better than I, as he already made the changes for openembedded
presumably, but I think buildroot would need to build the first stage compiler
before uClibc generates any headers, and then after that is done run 'make pregen'.

This is because a basic compiler is needed to generate the headers for NPTL. And
that is because it needs to correctly calculates offsets into structs, etc, so
that the assembly language versions of functions behave the same as the C versions.

-Austin