Compiling in pure Thumb2 mode

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Fri Jan 1 12:28:35 UTC 2010

Hello All, and a happy new year!

I just check the current git tree, and it does not seem possible to build in
pure Thumb2 mode on a CPU that support ARM and Thumb2 modes (eg. Cortex-A8),
while it seems possible to build for Thumb2-only CPUs (eg. Cortex-M3).
Am I correct?

On the same idea...
Once upon a time (not so long ago...), there was the idea floating around [1]
that uClibc should not care about the specifics of the target CPU, and should
leave that to the compiler to decide. There even have been a mere attempt at
doing so [2] [3], and even a consensus (at the time) [4] [5] but the code did
not make it to the tree...

What are your thoughts on the idea? I can tackle some patches for the archs
I know of (ARM/MIPS/x86/x86_64) in the few following days...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

[1] http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2009-April/042262.html
      and subsequent post in the thread.