uClinux/FDPIC loader on LatticeMico32/Milkymist

Sébastien Bourdeauducq sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net
Mon Feb 1 13:55:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

Does anyone have good experience with developing uClinux/FDPIC loaders and is
willing to help?

The loader we use in Milkymist [1] (a 100% open source system-on-chip, i.e.
ALL Verilog HDL design files are under a free license) is merely crap,
requiring the use of -Wl,-q to generate a special relocation section and then
special options to strip in order to leave that relocation section in the
final binary. The kernel loader then reads this section and relocates the
binary itself (instead of having it done by the libc as it's supposed to be
with normal FDPIC targets).

This makes compiling software difficult, it's slow, and it's a kludge. It also
appears to cause problems with C++. Such a hack will probably never be
accepted in the vanilla Linux kernel.

It would be nice if someone with experience with uClibc and FDPIC loaders on
nommu targets could give us some help about this. It's probably easy and quick
to make if you know in detail how FDPIC loaders work, but I don't.

Thanks,
Sébastien

[1] http://www.milkymist.org