various nptl patches

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Sat Apr 17 08:23:40 UTC 2010

> Austin Foxley wrote:
> > On 04/16/2010 07:37 AM, Timo Teräs wrote:
> >> Ok, second try on getting the libc - libpthread interactions right.
> >>

> >> This includes the Joakim's patch for protected symbols, with a
> >> little fix from me.
> >
> > I thought the hidden symbol thing would work, because I thought when
> > you turned on stdio-futexes, everywhere used futexes. I didn't
> > realize other places were using __pthread* symbols directly...
>
> Yeah, that was my impression too. But it turns out to work
> differently :/
>
> > We'll need to patch all the other arch's ldso as well to handle
> > protected symbols, but I'll apply this for now. If I'm not mistaken,
> > other archs will be no worse off than they are now in this situation.
> > Right?
>
> Right. It makes things slightly better for other archs too, but
> in practice it won't work until they support protected symbols too.

Finally looked at the ldso patch and I am not entirely happy with it.
I think the general structure should be different to make it easier
to follow the code and port it to other archs. I can probably
take a stab at it during the weekend but I have no env. to test in
so I will have to do it blindly.

 Jocke