we have #define MAXHOSTNAMELEN 64, but #define NI_MAXHOST 1025

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 5 22:45:41 UTC 2009

Hi,

include/rpc/types.h declares
#ifndef MAXHOSTNAMELEN
#define        MAXHOSTNAMELEN  64
#endif

while include/netdb.h declares
# define NI_MAXHOST      1025

(1) It probably would be better if we have internally consistent
idea how big a hostname we allow.

(2) NI_MAXHOST is too big. Do we really need to support
hostnames which are about ten times longer than avevare
screen line? We have a global data object in libc/inet/rpc/rexec.c
declared as "char ahostbuf[NI_MAXHOST]". This eats 1kb of bss.

I think we can set NI_MAXHOST to 128 with no danger
of breaking things, or maybe even to 64.

What do you think?
--
vda