Release whinging

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Nov 24 07:15:34 UTC 2009

On Monday 23 November 2009 17:43:57 Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> Twas brillig at 14:59:59 22.11.2009 UTC-06 when rob at landley.net did gyre
> and gimble:
>
>  RL> http://impactlinux.com/code/firmware/downloads/snapshots/
>
> A little bit of offtopic

Yeah, there's a separate list for that.  Follow-ups there please:

> - is there easy way to add various stuff while
> running fwl? rootfs is r/o squashfs,

The prebuilt binaries I put up are squashfs, because that's the default system
image type.  (It never needs a fsck after reboot, you can fire up multiple
emulator instances against it simultaneously without worrying about them
fighting, it works the same when burned to flash... Good starting image type for
people new to FWL.)

If you use the build scripts to build your own images, you can set
SYSIMAGE_TYPE=ext2 and SYSIMAGE_HDA_MEGS=2048 (either as environment variables
or persistently in the config file).  A particularly convenient syntax is:

  SYSIMAGE_TYPE=ext2 SYSIMAGE_HDA_MEGS=2048 ./build.sh i686

(You can also select initramfs as your SYSIMAGE_TYPE, but most architectures
have some limit on kernel image size in the 2-8 megabyte neighborhood, and a
gcc-based toolchain is over 10 megs compressed.  So that option's pretty much
for NATIVE_TOOLCHAIN=none builds, not for using as a development environment.)

If you don't want to recompile, you can also grab the "root-
filesystem-$ARCH.tar.bz2" tarball, which contains the raw root filesystem files
for that architecture, and package 'em up yourself.

> there is no /usr/local, so I'm
> really puzzled where to put headers and libs to be picked up by compiler
> without having to provide configure with list of --with-something=/here
> and --with-other-thing=/there .

I could put up ext2 system-images among the prebuilt binaries, but I'm trying
to keep the downloads/binaries directory down to a dull roar.  There's already
_15_ target architectures (not counting the -hw targets), and each one has a
cross compiler, native compiler, root filesystem, system image, and prebuilt
statically linked strace, dropbear, and busybox binaries in the downloads
directory.  (In theory, anyway.)

The http://impactlinux.com/fwl/screenshots/ page helps keep it somewhat
coherent, and Vladimir mocked up a much better version of that page with a
nice stylesheet and I need to redo it based on that.  If I can make that page
more navigable, I'd be willing to add more stuff.  It's complexity management
I'm worried about...

If you'd like to ask about it, do so on the FWL mailing list, please.  It is
kind of off-topic on uClibc...

Rob