Fwd: -O3 ?

Kyle Sallee kyle.sallee at gmail.com
Sun May 10 16:19:08 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kyle Sallee <kyle.sallee at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, May 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: -O3 ?
To: Christian MICHON <christian.michon at gmail.com>

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Christian MICHON
<christian.michon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Kyle Sallee <kyle.sallee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I tried compiling p7zip with CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS -O3,
>> yet it segfaulted when ran.
>> However, when compiling it with -Os it works fine.
>> I used to expect that problems with optimizations not work
>> were the fault of a bug in gcc.
>> But is it?
>> The problem does not occur when I compile p7zip -O3
>> and statically link it with glibc instead.
>> I am almost tempted to try to compile it with -O3 and -g
>> and run gdb on it.
>> But is -O3 optimized code debuggable?
>>
>> For now I will use -Os,
>> but I wondered if anyone had any information about why -O3
>> might be problematic with programs linked with uClibc, please.
>>

> gcc version ?
> uclibc version ?
> architecture ?
> native or cross compiling ?
>
> ;-)

Thanks.
gcc version 4.4.0
uClibc version 0.9.30.1
linux-headers version 2.6.29.1
cross-compiling
native architecture i686-pc-linux-gnu
cross-target i686-linux-uclibc
gcc 4.4.0 cross compiler was compiled with
--disable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++
p7zip contains both C and C++ sources.
p7zip version 4.65_src_all
Available from http://p7zip.sourceforge.net

Is there additional useful information that I can provide, please?