uclibc MIPS NPTL

Dan E trg_info at mailhaven.com
Fri Jun 5 07:18:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 00:25 +0200, "Peter Korsgaard" <jacmet at sunsite.dk>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  >> I'm trying to run a recent D-Bus daemon.  It works fine under
>  >> 0.9.29 with threads completely disabled.  Using the NPTL branch,
>  >> however, the dbus daemon fails to read() from a Unix domain socket
>  >> with errno = E2BIG.  I have a few more tests to run before I can
>  >> be sure what the real problem is.  It may be with dbus itself.  It
>  >> has pthread calls in it but no makefile links using -lpthread, and
>  >> 'ldd dbus-daemon' doesn't show a dependency on libpthread.so.
>  >> Strangeness.
>
>  Dan> Just a quick update to say further testing was not possible.  I
>  Dan> wanted to see what would happen using the NPTL branch of uClibc
>  Dan> with NPTL itself disabled.  Apparently the NPTL branch cannot be
>  Dan> built at all unless NPTL is enabled.  Multiple compiler errors
>  Dan> occur because header files, like tls.h and sysdep-cancel.h,
>  Dan> cannot be found.
>
> FYI, dbus works here on ppc with 0.9.30.1.

Thanks, Peter.  It's fine on 0.9.29 as well.  I just spent some time
going over its .configure script and made a few adjustments (it's really
geared to glibc) so the different components link against libpthread in
the Makefile.  Same bad result using the uClibc NPTL branch, though.
Socket read() by dbus-daemon returns -1 with errno = E2BIG.  I no longer
think the problem is with pthreads per se since neither the daemon nor
dbus-monitor create any.  Not really sure what to think now.