uclibc MIPS NPTL

Carmelo AMOROSO carmelo.amoroso at st.com
Thu Jun 4 06:53:21 UTC 2009

Dan E wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 13:40 -0700, "Rick Fried" <rickf at tonecommander.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed back in April that you were working on testing MIPS NPTL for
>> the uclibc project.  I haven't seen any activity lately on this and
>> was curious about the current status.
>>
>> My company has an embedded Linux application using uclibc that is going
>> to require NPTL on the MIPS (EL) platform sometime in the future.  We
>> are interested in your progress in this area and may even be able to
>> contribute financially to speed the development process.
>>
>> Any status updates are appreciated...and have a great day.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rick Fried
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> I have working MIPS patches for the NPTL branch.  After my initial
> ham-fisted attempt at patches that didn't address all the issues, I
> debugged and studied the problem some more and refined the changes.
> Most recently, some weeks ago I submitted a patch with changes to MIPS's
> clone.S that was ignored.  Whatever the reason for that (possibly
> because the git transition was about to happen), I lost interest at that
> point and didn't bother submitting the rest.  With these patches the
> NPTL branch of uClibc is working perfectly on my embedded MIPS system
> (it's also little-endian but that should be irrelevant).   All tests
> pass and the pthread code I've developed using it also works and passes
> my own test cases.

Dan,
MIPS patches are always welcome, even if, as you said, NPTL branch
merge is stalled again... mea culpa, but I'm fully busy in other
kernel activities at my company.

> For my evolving purposes, however, having a usable NPTL branch uClibc is
> no longer good enough.  I have a need for it to be working in a more
> recent release of uClibc.  The NPTL branch isn't up to snuff for some of
> my other requirements; it's just too old.
which piece is old... if you are referring to the NPTL code itself,
you are right.
I would also like to get an
> update on the status of the effort to merge NPTL into the uClibc trunk.
> Carmelo and Khem and others have done a tremendous amount of good work
> on it so far, but it does seem to be stalled yet again.

unfortunately stalled, even if we (@ST) have ported argp and FTS
support in uclibc to support libdw (from elfutils).
We are planning to post patch asap.

Cheers,
Carmelo