Where is install_kernel_headers? (+ git web interface question)

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:39:57 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 18:59, Ron wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 06:17:02PM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Bernhard
> > Reutner-Fischer<rep.dot.nop at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Mike removed it since it's not libc's business to install kernel
> > > headers (and i agree with him, fwiw).
>
> I'll agree with that too while we're at it :)
>
> > Ok, then how can I test uclibc _before_ I install it?
> > I can build it becuase I have correctly set up KERNEL_HEADERS="xxx",
> > but "make check" does not work.
> >
> > > You have to have a properly installed set of kernel-headers before
> > > you build the libc, really.
> >
> > This adds yet another step into cross-compilation.
>
> That step was always there if you want to bootstrap everything from source.
>
> > Up to today, I was able to:
> > 1. build+install cross-compiling toolchain,
>
> You can't do that without lk headers and at least a 'bootstrap' build of
> the C lib headers.

I did it several times for a few architectures. It works.
Somewhat limited toolchain can be built for an architecture
without kernel/libc headers. For gcc, you'd need to configure it
with --enable-languages="c,c++" --without-headers --with-newlib.

http://busybox.net/~vda/HOWTO/i486-linux-uclibc/HOWTO.txt

> You might be able to 'cheat' and start from some
> package someone else made, but _someone_ needs to provide this before you
> can build a working toolchain.  This isn't step 1.
>
> > 2. build+install uclibc,
>
> ... so you should already have them by the time you get to this point.

I built uclibc many times without kernel headers installed
in $sysroot, I just need to point KERNEL_HEADERS to whereever they are.

> > 3. build+install userspace,
> >
> > and now I need to add
> > 2.5 install kernel headers
>
> No.  This is step 1.  Step 2 is bootstrap the libc headers.  Step 3 is
> build a bootstrap compiler.  Then you get to build libc before going
> back to the top to build a real compiler.
>
> > Can I have an option to not do it? It's not like I force you
> > to use "make install_kernel_headers", I just want to be able
> > to use it myself.
>
> make headers_install or headers_check in lk source is your friend here.
> For any vaguely current kernel this probably isn't a wheel that we
> should be reinventing.

I do use them.

> Am I missing something about why that doesn't work for you?

"make check" does not respect KERNEL_HEADERS.
I don't know how to put it simpler than that.

--
vda