Where is install_kernel_headers? (+ git web interface question)

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:21:59 UTC 2009

I am trying to run the testsuite.

# make compile
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `compile'.
  TEST_LINK assert/ assert
In file included from ../../install_dir/usr/include/signal.h:354,
                 from assert.c:14:
../../install_dir/usr/include/bits/sigcontext.h:31:29: error:
asm/sigcontext.h: No such file or directory
In file included from assert.c:14:
../../install_dir/usr/include/signal.h:357: warning: 'struct
sigcontext' declared inside parameter list
../../install_dir/usr/include/signal.h:357: warning: its scope is only
this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
make[1]: *** [assert] Error 1
make: *** [_dircompile_assert] Error 2

I see that in main Makefile.in,

$(LOCAL_INSTALL_PATH):
        $(Q)$(MAKE) PREFIX=$(shell pwd)/$(LOCAL_INSTALL_PATH)
RUNTIME_PREFIX=/ \
        DEVEL_PREFIX=/usr/ \
        HOSTCC="$(HOSTCC)" \
        install
        $(Q)$(MAKE) PREFIX=$(shell pwd)/$(LOCAL_INSTALL_PATH)
RUNTIME_PREFIX=/ \
        DEVEL_PREFIX=/usr/ \
        HOSTCC="$(HOSTCC)" \
        install

does not install _kernel_ headers anymore, thus asm/sigcontext.h
is not found in install_dir/usr/include/*.

I remember I fixed it by introducing and using install_kernel_headers.

I check the git log and the last commit regarding that is:

commit 56ecf3ceca20ba5b1f41f9deba0134112b59f961
Author: Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
Date:   Sat Apr 18 23:45:13 2009 +0000

    install_kernel_headers: comment out copying of extra directories,
    this seem to be not needed

Okay. Someone removed it after that. I can't even find who and when.
"git log" does not show it.

It was removed not just from Makefiles, but install_kernel_headers.sh
script was also nuked. Why? I created it because I did need it.
I don't create scripts just because I have nothing else to do.

I go to  http://git.uclibc.org/uClibc/tree/extra/scripts

and try to figure out when install_kernel_headers.sh was deleted.
I can't figure out how to do that in git web interface.
It was easy in svn - you go to a file or dir and you see all
commits which touched that file/dir.

Mike, Bernhard, can you help me out here?
--
vda