HEADS UP: svn->git transition

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 20:58:33 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009 21:41, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > and all that jive.  example commit message:
> > > ==================
> > > blah blah short summary suitable for subject
> > >
> > > some full explanation here nicely wrapped to 78cols
> > > ======
> >
> > Hmm, it did not drop me into an editor, so I had no chance
> > to enter description formatted like this.
> >
> > I assume I need to drop -m 'my commit log' part to be able
> > to do that interactively?
>
> you can add '-e' to explicitly edit.  that's usually what i do: specify the
> short summary with -m but then include -e to edit the full text.  whichever is
> easier for you of course.
>
> once you made a commit, you can amend the most recent one with --amend ...
> that means you can add files/changes or update the changelog.  of course, you
> should never amend a commit that has been pushed out into the public repo.

Trying. Edited a file in a freshly checked-out repo, then:

$ git commit -e
# On branch master
# Changed but not updated:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
#   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
#
#       modified:   networking/Config.in
#
no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
$ _

Editor did not start. How can I enter changelog text?

--
vda