HEADS UP: svn->git transition

Bernd Schmidt bernds_cb1 at t-online.de
Thu Apr 30 12:57:14 UTC 2009

Thierry Reding wrote:
> You use "git fetch" to update the local repository with the latest changes
> from the remote repository, then use "git rebase origin/master" to rebase all
> local commits onto the master branch of the origin repository. origin/master
> can of course be substituted with any other branch as well.
>
> After that you can "git push" your new branch to the remote repository.

That seems to have worked.  Still, I have to ask:  Do people really find
this easier and more reliable to use than "svn update"?

bernds at beaker /local/src/t1/tagua $ git fetch origin
remote: Counting objects: 5, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (3/3), done.
 From /local/src/t1/../tagua
    fcfe2b5..17124b6  master     -> origin/master
bernds at beaker /local/src/t1/tagua $ git rebase origin/master
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: Fish #4
error: patch failed: CHANGELOG:1
error: CHANGELOG: patch does not apply
Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
Auto-merged CHANGELOG
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in CHANGELOG
Failed to merge in the changes.
Patch failed at 0001.

When you have resolved this problem run "git rebase --continue".
If you would prefer to skip this patch, instead run "git rebase --skip".
To restore the original branch and stop rebasing run "git rebase --abort".

bernds at beaker /local/src/t1/tagua $ xemacs CHANGELOG
bernds at beaker /local/src/t1/tagua $ git rebase --continue
You must edit all merge conflicts and then
mark them as resolved using git add
bernds at beaker /local/src/t1/tagua $ git add CHANGELOG
bernds at beaker /local/src/t1/tagua $ git rebase --continue
Applying: Fish #4

Bernd
--
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen