Illegal instruction on m68k nommu

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Mon Apr 20 16:20:13 UTC 2009

On Mon 20 Apr 2009 11:59, Lennart Sorensen pondered:

> I really wish someone was in charge of elf2flt and released it with
> version numbers.  I have no idea how mnay groups have their own version
> of elf2flt in cvs/svn/git/whatever. What a mess.

I think this is pretty common with many open source tools. Every distribution
maintainer wants to make a tweak - and not always sends it upstream. When
they do send it upstream - the patch can be rejected by the mainline
maintainer - due to a variety of reasons...

For example - there is a huge difference between a RedHat kernel, and
kernel.org. Most Debian userspace packages are heavily patched - yeah, it
kind of stinks - but that is what "diff" is for....

It is not a mess - it is just the way it is...

> binutils, gcc, linux kernel, ublibc, busybox, etc all have maintainers
> and releases with versions.  elf2flt doesn't.

elf2flt is maintained by David McCullough - mainline is at:

http://cvs.uclinux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/elf2flt/

Releases are done as part of the uClinux-dist

I think the big difference is that binutils, gcc, linux kernel, uClibc,
busybox, etc are all huge projects with _many_ maintainers for each project.

elf2flt is a small (but critical) project - where all the burden falls on one
person (who is also busy with other open source responsibilities - as well a
real life).