confirmed working NPTL revision?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Sep 16 01:11:11 UTC 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 10:57:37 Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 August 2008 09:25:32 Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
> >> Looking at what we have into the nptl branch is useful.
> >> Walk trough ldso directory and look for USE_TLS to see where you should
> >> put your hands to add TLS support. Working code is a good guide.
> >> Feel free to ask for explanation whenever you want... if we can/know, we
> >> can help.
> >> Volunteers are always welcome.
> >
> > Has there been any follow-up on this?
>
> No that I'm aware of.

Consider this a follow-up then.

> > I'm interested in this, because I'm trying to build Linux From Scratch
> > 6.3 under the upcoming Firmware Linux 0.9.1, which means I'm trying to
> > build glibc under uClibc.  And current versions of glibc won't even cross
> > compile from a host that doesn't support TLS.  (Yeah, I know it's broken.
> >  It's maintained by the FSF.)
> >
> > I can't provide a working uClibc development environment for a target and
> > then tell people "building glibc, if you want it, is your problem" if I
> > myself can't make it work.  So I need this.
> >
> > I note that the original paper on TLS is:
> >
> >   http://people.redhat.com/drepper/tls.pdf
> >
> > Which might help...
>
> This is what I used for adding TLS/sh4 relocation support on ld.so (nptl
> branch)

Ok, questions:

1) How platform specific is it?
2) Does it actually have anything to do with nptl?

What I'm thinking is that if TLS can be added to the main svn branch as a
separate chunk, that's can be considered a partial merge (brings the NPTL and
mainline branches somewhat closer), and it's small and separate enough to go
into a 0.9.30 release.

Also, rather than have _three_ threading branches (once NPTL is added), I'd
like to yank LINUXTHREADS_OLD before releasing a 0.9.30 if the newer stuff
works for everybody.  (And if it doesn't, I want bug reports.)

Rob