Install problem (Cross compile AVR32)

Jeremy Bowen jeremy.bowen at pertronic.co.nz
Wed Oct 29 21:42:43 UTC 2008

On Friday 24 October 2008 3:47:14 pm Rob Landley wrote:
> I don't currently have an AVR32 target, because I'm focusing on what qemu
> supports.  Is there an emulator for this platform, or do you need real
> hardware to be able to test the result?

I'm not aware of an AVR32 emulator :-(

> > If I get my toochain fixed and working correctly I can confidently say I
> > will NEVER have a problem with broken packages or configure scripts. This
> > is entirely independent of whether I use buildroot or not.
>
> Never?  I've had problems with broken packages and configure scripts
> natively compiling on x86.  (Then I have a knack for breaking stuff.  I've
> broken "echo" in more than one way.)

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant that I'll never have a problem with a
properly configured toolchain that wouldn't also be a problem with buildroot.
Buildroot won't magically solve problems with broken packages.

> Perhaps you mean when it breaks you can fix it without needing to come to
> this list? :)

Yeah, with my own built toolchain I'd certainly be in a better position to
know what is going on than relying on the mystical incantations handed to me
by the buildroot wizards.

> > uClibc appears to build OK. I have attempted to install this using:
> > make install PREFIX=/usr/local/avr32/ RUNTIME_PREFIX= DEVEL_PREFIX=
>
> I build and install in the same pass, ala:
>
> make CROSS="${ARCH}-" KERNEL_HEADERS="${CROSS}/include" PREFIX="${CROSS}/"
> \ RUNTIME_PREFIX=/ DEVEL_PREFIX=/ all install-runtime install-dev
>
> I remember that the prefixes need to be "/" instead of blank in order for
> things to work out properly...

Thanks Rob. That's got a grain of relevant information necessary to get to the
bottom of things.

It turns out the key to getting everything working correctly for me is this:
make install PREFIX=/usr/local/avr32/avr32-linux/ RUNTIME_PREFIX= \
DEVEL_PREFIX=

The main point being that gcc looks for additional header files in a '$TARGET'
*sub*-directory off the /usr/local/avr32 '$PREFIX' argument that it was
configured with.

This is mentioned in one of the how-to's but isn't immediately obvious as the
configuration spans two different parts (gcc & uClibc) of the toolchain.

Setting uClibc to install the relevant headers files in the target
sub-directory results in gcc knowing where to look. At least now I can
continue to debug my original issues.

--
Cheers
JeremyB