Install problem (Cross compile AVR32)

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at sunsite.dk
Wed Oct 22 06:42:39 UTC 2008

>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy Bowen <jeremy.bowen at pertronic.co.nz> writes:

Hi,

 Jeremy> On Wednesday 22 October 2008 12:52:07 pm John Voltz wrote:
 >> I would recommend you save yourself the pain, and just use buildroot.

 Jeremy> <rant>

 Jeremy> Argh! Why is the world full of lemmings. "buildroot" is not
 Jeremy> the magical answer to life the universe and everything. When
 Jeremy> something goes wrong with buildroot it is virtually
 Jeremy> impossible to determine WTF it is doing.

Ofcause it isn't, but it shows a working setup. I definately don't
find buildroot hard to comprehend, it's just a few makefiles afterall,
but I might be less than objective.

 Jeremy> Everytime I see anyone post a problem with their toolchain,
 Jeremy> someone ALWAYS says; "Just use buildroot". It's a
 Jeremy> non-answer. It's like saying "You don't have to think. Trust
 Jeremy> us. We know what is best for you." Pertty soon we're all
 Jeremy> using "Visual Basic .NET" and having a lobotomy.

hold it, noone forces anything on you or requires that you treat
buildroot as a black box - But just like using a Linux distribution
instead of rolling your own from scratch can save you a bunch of time,
so can buildroot.

 Jeremy> It never encourages anyone to sort out an issue for
 Jeremy> themselves and eventually everyone gets spoon-fed all their
 Jeremy> answers and becomes an unquestioning sheep.

Huh? We get plenty of patches on the buildroot list.

 Jeremy> Additional information.
 Jeremy> ==================

 Jeremy> A colleague and I are trying to sort out our build
 Jeremy> environments. He's using buildroot and it results in a broken
 Jeremy> (non-booting) linux kernel. I'm NOT using buildroot and my
 Jeremy> kernel is fine but I can't compile applications.

 Jeremy> $deity only knows what part of the buildroot chain is broken
 Jeremy> here so I'm trying to independently resolve the toolchain
 Jeremy> issue and hopefully identify exactly which component is
 Jeremy> broken.

Patches are welcome - buildroot at uclibc.org

 >> This will have mixed results and will get _beyond_ tedious when you start
 >> discovering dependencies.

 Jeremy> Yes, because this the WRONG way to solve the problem.

 >> Save your time and use buildroot. Spend your
 >> spare time enjoying a beer or something more enjoyable... ;) You will also
 >> inevitably encounter a package with broken configure (or none at all) in
 >> which case you better break out a can of patience, because you'll need it!

 Jeremy> If I get my toochain fixed and working correctly I can
 Jeremy> confidently say I will NEVER have a problem with broken
 Jeremy> packages or configure scripts. This is entirely independent
 Jeremy> of whether I use buildroot or not.

So by not using buildroot all dependency issues and problems with
not-cross-compilation-capable packages just magically disappear?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard