[ANNOUNCE] uClibc-0.9.30-rc2 released

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Oct 20 21:26:01 UTC 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008 05:01:05 Vladimir Dronnikov wrote:
> > You can use a gentoo stage3 tarball, chroot and it just works.
>
> Is it true that gentoo is uClibc-based?

The normal gentoo isn't, but gentoo embedded is:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/

However, they don't use the release versions of uClibc.  This project has
historically released stuff so irregularly they took to maintaining their own
tree (largely based on Peter Mazinger's work).  Their most recent release
version isn't even 0.9.29, it's 0.9.28 plus a bunch of patches.

Solar said he hopes the 0.9.30 release will allow them to resync with
mainline...

> You can do pretty much without gettext.
>
> Pity, buildroot does need it. Of course I can patch it but I really got
> tired of patching... :) To have a local patch means a constant headache,
> either of trying to get the patch merged, or of patching repatched patches.
> I' m looking for a tarball with statically linked uClibc-based toolchain
> (x86 mostly) plus binary stuff which is needed to compile 90% of
> "simple" packages (I mean that which do not depend on a bunch of
> libraries). Did anyone meet it on Earth?

I still don't use buildroot.

I decided to create the smallest, simplest build environment that could
rebuild itself under itself from source code, cross compile just _that_ to a
target, and then build Linux From Scratch natively under it inside QEMU if I
needed something more capable.  Separate the layers, make everything
orthogonal, and get _away_ from cross compiling back to native compiling at
the earliest opportunity.  (And do it all in bash scripts so people other
than me can actually understand what's going on.)

Totally different philosophy from buildroot.  Buildroot is an integrated cross
compile environment, a distribution generator, a repository for example code,
and a floor wax.  (Do not taunt buildroot.)

> TIA,
> --
> Vladimir

Rob