[ANNOUNCE] uClibc-0.9.30-rc2 released

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Oct 20 21:17:06 UTC 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008 03:39:38 Natanael Copa wrote:

> > Pity that noone ships a tarball of x86 toolchain which could be just
> > untarred to the rootfs and has out-of-box means to build, say,
> > buildroot for x86. Cross compiling is indeed very important task but
> > native tools are of not less importance, imo.
>
> You can use a gentoo stage3 tarball, chroot and it just works.

Where do I download prebuilt gentoo stage 3 tarballs for various
architectures?

Last time I asked solar, _he_ didn't know.  I believe he just started from the
x86 one and cross compiled a new one under that when he needed something for
a target.  (Apparently, most embedded targets don't have a CD-ROM drive.)

> > Still bison and flex (and evil gettext) binaries are must-pre-have on
> > the host system.
>
> You can do pretty much without gettext.

To be specific, just about anything that uses gettext also has a ./configure
stage that detects its absence if it isn't installed.  The same goes for
libtool.

Rob