libc_hidden_proto removal

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Nov 17 04:36:15 UTC 2008

On Sunday 16 November 2008 21:57:41 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Sometime ago I removed string.h related libc_hidden_proto's.
> There were a few bumps, but nothing tragic.
>
> So now it sits half-done, something like:

> /* Experimentally off - libc_hidden_proto(strlen) */
> /* Experimentally off - libc_hidden_proto(strncat) */
> /* Experimentally off - libc_hidden_proto(strncpy) */
> /* libc_hidden_proto(strnlen) */
> /* Experimentally off - libc_hidden_proto(strstr) */
> /* Experimentally off - libc_hidden_proto(strcasecmp) */
> libc_hidden_proto(socket)
> libc_hidden_proto(close)
> libc_hidden_proto(fopen)
> libc_hidden_proto(fclose)
> libc_hidden_proto(random)
>
> Unless there are some big pending merges which would
> rather see it postponed, I will start removing the rest of them.

I've forgotten what libc_hidden_proto() does, but this raises a bigger
question:

Bernhard, do you have a roadmap for 0.9.31?  When's the next release targeted
for?  I know you told Carmelo to merge the nptl stuff, but is there anything
else in the offing?  (Trying to remove some of the 8 gazillion warnings,
perhaps?)

Any opinion on whether it's worth bothering the google people to try to get
explicit permission to use the android threading stuff under LGPL?

Rob