svn commit: trunk/uClibc/libc/inet

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 08:37:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:07:46PM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>On Sunday 02 November 2008 11:59, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 12:42:58AM +0100, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>>
>> >P.S. our resolver is scary. Locking is busted.
>> >I fear handling of IPv6 DNS replies are busted too.
>>
>> The resolver needs a rewrite, agree 100%.
>
>I am generally leaning towards fixing existing stuff.
>Rob is "total rewrite" guy.
>
>If you don't object, I'll work on resolver a bit.
>Will try to fix locking, etc.

Is the resolver which is in svn now somewhat working or is that
additional patch that is not yet committed a hard requirement?
If it is not required but would only fix some corner-case, then
i'd prefer to only apply it after the .30 was branched..

Regarding the general state the resolver code is in:
It doesn't work, nor compile for IPv6-only _and_ it feels bigger
than needed. So, if you want to beat this current impl into shape to
work
- IPv4 only
- IPv6 only
- both IPv4 and IPv6
- plus all 3 above with proper locking
- all that with at most the size it currently has
then that'd be fine with me, of course.

What do you think?