[RFC] build system replacement

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sat May 31 09:58:12 UTC 2008

Hi Bernd,

On Saturday 31 May 2008 11:41, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > The new system I have worked on simplifies these Makefiles.
>
> A lot of this is just the klib-y trick, which could be done just as well
> in the existing system.
>
> I don't think "simplifying the Makefiles" should be a goal by itself, as
> they aren't all that complicated - maybe a bit more verbose than
> necessary, but that doesn't really make them harder to understand.

As I said, I am not obsessed with build system replacement.
I started it as a necessity because I was bitten several times with
the modification of files not being detected.

I thought that it is a sign that build system is not maintained
and is bit rotting.

After recent events (your fix and my testing) I now see that

1. There are people (you) who understand and maintain
   current build system;
2. The breakage is not as widespread as I thought - actually,
   all .c files are properly tracked. Or almost all -
   I did not check all possibilities, maybe there are a few more
   obscure .config's with problems.

> Adding header file dependencies would be a good thing.  IMO, if it can
> be done within the existing framework, that's better than throwing
> everything out.

Are you willing to look into it?
--
vda