Power off ethernet device

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon May 26 12:22:18 UTC 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008 11:40, Nicola Salvemini wrote:
> probably my question is
> stupid, but I'm not an expert! I'm sorry for this!

Not stupid, but on the wrong list. You should ask on Linux kernel
mailing list or on netdev mailing list (google for those).

> I'm developing some
> software on a development board based on AT91SAM9260 processor. I
> need to power off the ethernet device, but I need a “low level”
> command. I mean that an “ifconfig eth0 down” command is not
> suffice to my purpose, I need a command to emulate a cable
> disconnection, something to power off the yellow LED on the ethernet
> port.

You probably need to modify the ethernet driver so that
"ifconfig eth0 down" does that too. It makes sense - if interface is down,
there is no point in having it powered up.
Kernel network people may confirm this or propose something else.
Ask them.
--
vda