reentrant functions

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 15:33:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:30:04PM +0200, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>>> - adds several config-options to allow for turning off certain features
>
> This seems a good way to reduce size.
>
> One additional idea I had recently was to add a config option to turn
> off non-reentrant functions where a reentrant version exists (e.g.
> gethostbyname vs gethostbyname_r).  That's because I still believe the
> uc_malloc trick comes at a reliability cost, so I'd rather revert that
> and provide a way for people to configure out the functions using static
> data.  However, I don't know whether this is feasible, or if these
> functions are still very much in use.  What do you guys think?

Just to make sure i understand correctly:

- If a reentrant function exists then you want the non-reentrant func to
  be optional (via a central knob).
- If non-reentrant funcs are off then they are aliased to their
  reentrant counterpart.

What about the reverse, i.e. dropping *_r()?
Think about no threads, i don't really need *_r() at all there, i
suppose.