"Can't modify text section" error trying to load .so library

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 19:45:11 UTC 2008

Hello,

This is a bit of a long shot. If anyone has some info I'll be very grateful.

I am trying to run IBM J9 JVM on a Gumstix, which is an ARM cpu +
Linux device. The C library is uClibc. When I try to execute J9,
I get a message "Can't modify libj9vm23.so text section".
The message appears to originate from uClibc/ldso/ldso/dl-elf.c.

>From browsing the web it appears the immediate cause of the
error is that some part of the .so library was not compiled w/ -fPIC.
Unfortunately I don't have the source code to recompile it.
Is there something I can do with the library as it stands?
e.g. environment settings, modify the .so library somehow?

I see the error message is within the else part of
#ifndef __FORCE_SHAREABLE_TEXT_SEGMENTS__.
If I undefine that and recompile uClibc, I guess it would disable the
error message. Could I expect uClibc to generally work OK with
that undefined?

Thanks for any ideas. I've contacted the source of the J9 port
but I'm not sure if I'll get any help from them.

All the best,
Robert Dodier