Has anybody gotten m68k to build in 0.9.29?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Feb 6 00:34:04 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008 11:14:02 David Daney wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > My attempts at building uClibc-0.9.29 for m68k keep triggering internal
> > compiler errors.
> >
> >>   CC libc/inet/inet_aton.os
> >>   CC libc/inet/inet_addr.os
> >>   CC libc/inet/inet_ntoa.os
> >> libc/inet/addr.c: In function 'inet_ntoa_r':
> >> libc/inet/addr.c:145: internal compiler error: in output_move_qimode, at
> >> config/m68k/m68k.c:1899 Please submit a full bug report,
> >> with preprocessed source if appropriate.
> >> See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
> >> make[1]: *** [libc/inet/inet_ntoa.os] Error 1
> >> make: *** [lib/libc.so.0] Error 2
> >
> > I tried upgrading from gcc 4.1.2 to 4.2.2, and it made no difference.
>
> Searching the GCC's bugzilla for 68k internal compiler errors yields
> nothing for output_move_qimode.

So that would be a "no", then.

> Please open a new bug report at the indicated URL.

To reproduce the bug:

wget http://landley.net/hg/firmware/archive/tip.tar.bz2
tar xvjf tip.tar.bz2
cd firmware-*
[ add the attached patch to sources/patches ]
./build.sh m68k

That's pretty much all I know about it at the moment.  That and moving from
4.1.2->4.2.2 didn't fix it. :(

> You could also try with the current SVN trunk, as it is very close to
> being released as GCC 4.3.  It could be that it works there.

Alas, upgrading to gcc 4.2 broke arm soft float.  (Ok, it was broken in gcc
4.1 too, but I had a patch to fix it there, and adapting it to gcc 4.2 didn't
work.  They let M.C. Escher have another go at the makefiles...)  I plan to
upgrade someday, but for right now I've got higher priority todo items and
reverted the upgrade until I get some other things cleared.

The problem is that gcc the gcc developers moved the soft float functions in
libgcc_s.so, and if you build the compiler with --disable-shared they have to
move back to libgcc.a.  You have to patch gcc to accomplish this, and the
build changed enough between 4.1 and 4.2 that a straightforward adaptation of
the patch doesn't work.  (I'm working on it, but since gcc 4.2 has no obvious
advantages over 4.1 so far, it's low priority.)

That said, I can try to take a whack at SVN for diagnostic purposes.  Maybe
later this evening.  (I just can't _deploy_ it in the short term.  And if it
_does_ fix it, maybe I can binary search for the fix.  But if 4.2 didn't, and
there's nothing in the bug tracker, I kind of doubt it was specifically
addressed...)

> Thanks,
> David Daney

Rob