Fix Thumb-2 PIEs

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 11 01:17:53 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 22:00, Rob Landley wrote:
> Right now, there are still two "old" linuxthreads branches in uClibc, and as
> far as I can tell we'll be supporting them in perpetuity.  (For a definition
> of "support" that involves leaving them alone unless somebody complains.)

We need to stop doing that, though.

We have "ond" and "new" vfprintf, "old" and "new" regex,
"old" and "new" threads, "old" and "new" fnmatch.

Let's just decide on something, and disable things which are
really "old". Because currently, I need telepathic powers
to figure out which regex to choose:

Sometimes "old" is actually old and better be dropped,
other times "old" is actually "stable and recommended",
and "new" is "work in progress, and maybe developer was hit
by the bus, nobody knows". For one, I do not know
what vfprintf or regex to choose, I use rand().

But users are even less likely than we to know what to choose.
We, as developers, need to help them.

It's not like disabling or even rm'ing one or the other
is irreversible. It all will still be in a history.

Just IMHO. Bernhard, I guess it's up to you to decide this.
--
vda