What is the preferred code style for uclibc?

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 1 19:44:55 UTC 2008

Hi Bernhard, folks,

Can you indicate what coding style you prefer
in uclibc?

Curretly we have a mixture of all kinds,
GNU style with its uniquely difficult placement
of {}s:

  if (set == NULL || signo <= 0 || signo >= NSIG)
    {
      __set_errno (EINVAL);
      return -1;
    }

indent-by-4 style:

    if (act) {
        kact.k_sa_handler = act->sa_handler;
        kact.sa_mask = act->sa_mask.__val[0];
        kact.sa_flags = act->sa_flags;
# ifdef HAVE_SA_RESTORER
        if (kact.sa_flags & SA_RESTORER) {
            kact.sa_restorer = act->sa_restorer;
        } else {
            kact.sa_restorer = choose_restorer (kact.sa_flags);
            kact.sa_flags |= SA_RESTORER;
        }
# endif
    }

Linux kernel style:

        if (bufsize > count) {
                bufsize = count;
                if (count == 0) {               /* We're at the end of the buffer... */
                        __set_errno(EFBIG);
                        return -1;
                }
        }

etc.

Can you let us know what aspects of style you plan to
make more uniform, and in what way; what you don't plan
to regulate.

For example, how would you write this?

        while ((n > 1)
                   && ((wi = fgetwc_unlocked(stream)) != WEOF)
                   ) {
                --n;
        }

I promise to not engage in gratuitous style changes,
there will be no rain of commits with s/spaces/tabs/, :)

I merely plan to follow the agreed-on style in the code
I touch.

--
vda