No subject

Wed Dec 17 22:59:25 UTC 2008

this.

Hopefully, this will let me finish porting lsh to MIPS tomorrow...

Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Andersen [mailto:andersen at codepoet.org]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 12:11 AM
To: Joseph Chiu
Cc: Steven J. Hill
Subject: Re: socketpair broken on MIPS

On Thu Jun 06, 2002 at 11:22:56PM -0700, Joseph Chiu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In trying to compile lsh-1.2.5 under mipsel-uclibc, and am finding that
> socketpair doesn't work.
>
> >From what I can tell, it looks like socketpair gets expanded as _syscall4
> which gets expanded into some assembly and a syscall.
> Alas, the syscall mechanism is a black box to me :(
>
> BTW, tehre are _syscall* macros defined in ld_syscalls.h -- when do these
> get invoked?

There are two sets of _syscall* macros for architectures that
have shared libraries.  If you look in
    ldso/ldso/mips/ld_syscalls.h
You will see that these are only used withing the dynamic linker.

The system calls definitions you are looking for are pulled in
from include/bits/syscalls.h, and in this case (which is wrong
and needs fixing) pulls in include/asm/unistd.h

I now have (as of this morning and after much work on my part!)
a working mips system on which I can test things.  Looking at the
glibc source
    glibc-2.2.5/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/mips/syscalls.list

it mentions
    # Socket functions; Linux/MIPS doesn't use the socketcall(2) wrapper;
    # it's provided for compatibility, though.

When I did the alpha port recently, I added support for
architectures that directly use bind(), send(), etc for doing
networking in uClibc/libc/inet/socketcalls.c

Well, I've got a bunch to do tonight, but that should get you
started if you want to look at the problem,