utmpx.h in uClibc?

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Wed Aug 20 06:50:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Ken Beals wrote:
> this is the error:  sysdeputil.c:59:19: utmpx.h: No such file or directory
>
> when I look in sysdeputil.c there is an include:  #include <utmpx.h>
> but the file is not in the include directory.  I also searched the entire tree and did not find it.  I think since my version is prior to the note about not being supported it looks like a problem.
>
> Thanks for the urls that show that's it in there.  I'm afraid I'm not
> really a software person but I need to get this project done if I can.
> I a little surprised how old the library is in this SDK.

It is true that the latest released Axis SDK still uses uClibc 0.9.27 .
We've started using 0.9.29 in-house; I checked with the SDK folks and a
new complete SDK release with 0.9.29 is due out this autumn. (We basically
skipped the whole 0.9.28 series and didn't even consider upgrading until
0.9.29 was out).

Simply dropping uClibc into the Axis SDK tree won't work as there are a
few patches needed to make it fit into the SDK build system. I have a
patch set which can be applied once it has been imported which should make
it work. I can email it to you if you want.

I do believe there are some other issues in the current SDK which makes it
incompatible with 0.9.29 however; I know there's a problem with the start
up files crt0.o vs crt1.o (the Axis SDK assumes the former whereas 0.9.29
only supports the latter), and there might be some issues with the way the
include files are exported from the kernel.

A new release of the SDK is planned this autumn, including a bump of
uClibc to 0.9.29 .

Since this is more Axis SDK related than uClibc related, we should take
this discussion elsewhere. There is a mailing list for Axis SDK queries at
dev-etrax at axis.com .

/Ricard