Now I'm curious...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Sep 2 08:14:11 UTC 2007

The official uClibc tree has seen 35 patches since the 0.9.29 release.  That
tree hasn't been touched in a month.  The uClibc-nptl branch (scheduled to
become 0.9.30) was last touched 5 weeks ago, and before that 4 months ago.
The last time the uClibc maintainer posted to this list was in May.  It is
now September.

The uClibc project is, for all intents and purposes, on hiatus at the moment.

Meanwhile, Peter S. Mazinger says his uClibc tree has 1194 commits relative to
0.9.29.  (That's one thousand, one hundred, and ninety-four.)  I just had a
longish conversation with him on #gentoo-embedded on freenode, during which
he showed me how to patch uClibc/Rules.mak to get armv4l soft-float working.

Peter unsubscribed from this list almost exactly one year ago, due to
disagreements with Manuel Nova and Steven Hill:
http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2006-March/015014.html

Manuel's objection was that Peter was making too many changes and checking
them into the development branch, which was making it hard for other
developers to keep up:
http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2006-March/015018.html

Steven's objection was that he was getting paid to do large uClibc changes
out-of-tree, none of which would be merged until the end of the contract, and
that changes to the public tree in the meantime made more work for him
keeping his out-of-tree stuff in sync, and therefore Steven wanted Peter to
stop interfering with Steven's contract by doing rapid unrelated development:
http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2006-March/015048.html
http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2006-March/015049.html

Peter's last post (asking how to unsubscribe) was August 25, 2006.  Steven and
Manuel got what then wanted.  Does it seem to anyone else here that a year
later, the result is that uClibc development has effectively ground to a
halt?

I'm poking Peter to put out a release.  I'll let you know if he does.  (I'd
happily send _him_ a cake, but he appears to be in Europe...)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.