posix threading plans

Khem Raj kraj at mvista.com
Mon May 7 17:48:28 UTC 2007

Steven J. Hill wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>
>>> clean trunk branch is the way to go.
>>> Do whatever you guys want and I will deal with it.
>>>
>> this isnt exactly a helpful stance to take ...
>>

> Sorry for the shortness of the response, but with my 2 year old son
> screaming next to me to play chase, I could not get much more typed.
> My stance is to do what is best for the community at large. I am more
> than happy resolve the different branches. Carmelo's SuperH stuff is
> against the uClibc-NPTL branch last I knew.
>
> My NPTL thread code is from glibc 20050823, clearly older code. Joseph,
> what glibc version did you reference for the ARM port?
>

>> so what i'm hearing is:
>>  - mips/nptl only exists in branches/uClibc-nptl/
>>  - the uClibc-nptl branch is in an unrecoverable state compared to trunk
>>  - arm/nptl exists against trunk
>>  - sjhill's work and codesourcery's work have some design decisions that need
>> to be reconciled
>>

> I would like to have Carmelo's latest patch against uClibc-NPTL branch. If the
> changes are not severe, then I would like to get SuperH into the current NPTL
> branch first. If there are too many changes, then let's go ahead and create a
> new branch and start merging.
>
> Mike, I can create the branch so you can focus on trunk. Carmelo and Joseph,
> after I hear back on the glibc reference version for ARM and what state the
> SuperH port is in, we can proceed.
>
> -Steve

We have all work for ARM MIPS and SH done in one place or other. ARM
port started off from MIPS nptl branch but I think its been updated with
lots of nptl stuff from glibc as it was done recently so I believe the
ARM port might be a bit more recent. So I think creating a new branch
and merging all different ports into one is the best way to go in my
opnion and also addressing design issues that come along. As of now I
have tried to keep the arm nptl port functional on trunk.

Thanks

-Khem