What's the difference between arch-specific header files of uClib and those header files of linux kernel

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Mon Mar 26 17:12:13 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 12:42:16 -0400, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 25 March 2007 9:02 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > This is FUD.
> > no it isnt ... just because someone doesnt understand the system completely
> > and they try to help someone else and they botch it does not make them a
> > troll nor does it mean they're spreading FUD
> >
> > Jan-Benedict confused some points and you corrected him, no value in jumping
> > down his throat and calling him a troll
> Are you aware that Linus Torvalds personally corrected him on this very issue
> in 2003, and they replied back and forth to each other for several messages?
> And that KernelTrap covered this thread, which I linked to in the message you
> just replied to?
>
>   http://kerneltrap.org/node/1758

Read the postings, I corrected something. And you're right that Linus
and I disagree over one thing. That basically is backward and forward
compatibility of struct changes.  It doesn't make a difference for
most of the syscalls, but it does for some.  I'm specifically anal for
the stat stuff...

So yes, wo do have a mostly stable userland ABI, but we've also seen
it break. (ISTR some nicely fucked up distcc `make' runs which broke
due to (non-)availability of subsecond stat() data on a common shared
filesystem.) But there are probably other examples, too. That is, I
continue to claim that there are code pathes where a libc should fix
up kernel version specific syscall changes.

MfG, JBG
PS: Sorry for the late reply. Somewhat buys right now :-/

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                 Gib Dein Bestes. Dann übertriff Dich selbst!