mips and proprietary instructions

JB general at itpsg.com
Sun Mar 25 20:29:54 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am using the realtek SDK which ships with precompiled binary versions
of uClibc 0.9.26.  I am attempting to get some version iproute2 working
on my radio.  After compiling tc, running it on the radio causes a
segfault.  At first I had a hard time figuring out where it was coming
from but eventually discovered it was a problem with the dl* system calls.

I read that 0.9.27 and greater have improved that part of the library.
The version of gcc in the realtek SDK is 3.3.3.  I figured I would be
better off upgrading to a newer version of the library than rewriting an
older version tc in iproute2.

When it goes to compile memcpy.S the compiler gives an error containing
"unrecognized opcode" when it encounters those instructions.  I have
done some web searching and I understand there is a very round about way
to emulate the same instructions with a lengthy series of other
instructions but I am not very familiar with MIPS assembly.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  How have you dealt with it?

Thanks for any info on this, I've been at for quite a while!