Building out of tree?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Mar 22 15:07:51 UTC 2007

So I know the makefile has top_builddir and top_srcdir, but how do you use
it?  It tried feeding in O=../builddir (no effect), tried running the
configure from outside of the tree (can't figure out how).  I tried overriding
top_builddir on the make command line and it looked for Rules.mak in that
directory (which is clearly a source file).  Makefile is in the source
tarball and it sets top_builddir and top_srcdir to a hardwired "./".  There
doesn't seem to be anything about this in the README (although I could have
missed it)...

Any clues?  Before I go hacking around in the makefiles I'd like to confirm
that this is an actual problem and not just me being unable to figure out how
the make the infrastructure that's there do its' thing...

Rob
--
Vista: Windows Millenium Second Edition