snapgear ucfront and uclibc 0.9.28.2 warnings

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Mar 15 14:35:53 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 8:12 pm, David McCullough wrote:
> I would have to say that ucfront has proven to be anything but a hack.
> When you want to use a compiler,  but you don't care for it's libc/it's
> kernel headers or anything else it has included,  a wrapper allows you
> to do the --nostdlib/--nostdinc thing and use your own.

I've been meaning to look at the ucfront wrapper, but it's buried a bit down
on my todo list.  The one I've been using is working fine for me (although I
need to test more packages and C++ support in my version is only theoretical
and totally untested at the moment).

The wrapper I'm using was actually maintained by Chris Faylor for timesys for
something like 3 years before I got ahold of it, so it's already been greatly
extended and made to work with gclibc and was a hideously ugly piece of...
Ahem, I did a lot of cleanup.

> I think the purpose of the wrapper in this case is quite different to
> what the uClibc wrapper did,  and if not,  then fine,  it is working for
> our context on many arch's unmodified,  obviously it didn't work in the
> uClibc context.

The fundamental problem is you either need a compiler built
with --disable-shared or a version of libgcc_s.so built against uClibc for
the appropriate target.  The only way to get _either_ is to build gcc from
source, so there's no getting away from that.  A wrapper doesn't help you
there.

Some people think that if you build gcc from source you can patch its'
internal path logic and thus don't need a wrapper, which generally means
they've either A) never tried it, B) never tried to do anything fancy, C)
been very lucky.  The path logic in gcc is a _crawling_horror_.  Run the
sucker under strace sometime if you don't believe me.

Rob
--
Vista: Windows Millenium Second Edition