xorg support

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:12:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 11:51 -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 08:38:31AM +0800, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> > i can build fontconfig and mesa on uclibc now maybe its time
> > somebody tried a regular xorg build.
>
> Time somebody tried xorg?  I first ran X built with uClibc about
> 3 years ago.  I've been running Xorg, fontconfig, pango, cairo,
> gtk+2.0, etc, all built with uClibc for months now without the
> slightest problem.

I compiled xorg just a few weeks ago and included it on my alpine-1.5.10
release. Since nobody have ever tested if it works or not, I have
removed it again.

I wanted to get a running xfce-4.4 but there are years old glib-2
problem in gentoo and i just haven't had the time to look at it.

If you (or somebody else) want to try xorg:

http://dl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v1.5/iso/alpine-1.5.10-i386.iso
http://dl.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v1.5/iso/alpine-1.5.10-i386.iso.sha1

Boot up, log in as root, run 'setup-alpine' to configure the basics. Run
'apk_add xorg-server' to install the server. You will most likely need
lost of other packages (drivers etc). You will manually need to install
dependencies for everything that is not a dynamic linked dependency.

If you get it running, please send a message on
alpine-devel at lists.alpinelinux.org and let me know.

It will run everything from RAM so you won't need any disk space, just
enough RAM.

Thanks!

Natanael Copa