Installing headers with 0.9.29 spawns gcc errors

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 25 23:10:15 UTC 2007

On Monday 25 June 2007 01:38, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Ah! You have a x-compiler at that time! How come? How did you manage to get
> > a x-compiler without installing C library headers first?
>
> Because neither binutils nor gcc need them in order to build, or even to run
> with --nostinc --nostdlib.
>
> I build binutils first because it doesn't need anything outside itself to
> build.  (It needs a working host toolchain of course, but no other target
> packages.)
>
> Then I build gcc, because the only target package it depends on is the
> appropriate cross-binutils.
>
> Then I compensate for the fact that gcc's path logic is DEEPLY BROKEN with a
> wrapper script and moving paths around and generally hitting the sucker with
> a large rock for being STUPID.

LOL :). Dunno, for me gcc is finding right stuff (after much searching in strange
and weird, but nonexistent locations (../bin/lib/../../lib/bin/..)).
I just try to not think about unnecessary searches ATM.

> Then I get around to installing the kernel headers because uClibc needs them
> (nothing before this did), and then I build uClibc which needs all of the
> above.

This is what I do too, in fact I was always doing it this way for cross.

I guess I joined the fun at a stage when cross-compiling toolchains are already
debugged well enough to mostly work for many arches. How many man-years were
spent in order to get here, I dare not think.
--
vda