Bummer: could not find ''!

Doug Kehn rdkehn at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 01:03:04 UTC 2007

Hi David,

--- David McCullough wrote:

> Jivin Doug Kehn lays it down ...
> > Hi David,
> > --- David McCullough wrote:
> >

> > > Hmm,  sounds like kernel config perhaps ?  We
> are
> > > building and testing
> > > on Xscale HW daily using 2.6.18 (and now
> 2.6.19),
> > > and AFAIK all is
> > > well.
> > >
> > > What sort of problems are you seeing ?
> > >

> > A lot of applications (mostly network related
> apps)
> > are failing to run the first time they are
> executed
> > after a reboot.  Subsequent executions succeed.
> For
> > example, I call ip (from iproute2) from my rc
> script.
> > The first time ip is run I see:
> >
> > ip: '/lib/' is not an ELF file
> > ip: can't load library ''
> >
> > Subsequent executions of ip, from the same rc
> script,
> > run fine.  I'm also observing similar problems
> with
> > sshd and snpmd (from net-snmpd).
> >
> > I enabled uClibc debug output (see attached) and
> > captured the first two calls to ip.
> >
> > Any suggestions on what kernel options could be
> > related?
>
> It seems as though libc.so.0 is not accessable ?

If libc.so.0 was not accessible wouldn't init have
issues?  It looked like libc.so.0 was loaded but then
an attempt was made to load '' then failure.  The next
time ip was executed libc.so.0 was loaded then an
attempt was made to load it again.

> Do you mount /lib or something ? What type is your
> root fs ?
> Where is it located, in ram or flash ?

/lib is located in a jffs2 root fs in flash.

> I guess init and /bin/sh are running fine,  which
> makes this
> even weirder.

Yep, init and /bin/sh do seem to be fine.

> Which toolchain are you using ?

I'm using arm-linux-tools-20061213.

Thanks,
...doug