UTF-8 runtime environment

Brian Clarke brian.clarke at oxsemi.com
Fri Feb 23 11:19:58 UTC 2007

Hi Todd,

I've been using a non-locale Buildroot/uClibc ARM based system for many
months now without problems.

I too am now trying to build uClibc locale support into a Buildroot
built root filesystem with the aim of being able to process UTF-8
encoded multibyte strings.

I selected Locale support from the Buildroot menus, which appears to
select to download the pre-generated local data using Buildroot's
toolchain/uClibc/uClibc.config-locale config file for uClibc.

I do not seem to get any functioning locale support, as for example the
date command from Busybox returns a corrupt string (ÓÈÊ  sön  1
00:54:37 UTC 2006) and if I compile and run the tst_nl_langinfo.c locale
test program from uClibc's extra/locale directory, I get "couldn't set
locale" for any locale I try, including not specifying a locale which
should I believe select the default locale.

Do you see any evidence on your ARM system that there is any functioning
locale support present?

Brian.