UTF-8 runtime environment

rockwell618 at gmail.com rockwell618 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:25:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am trying to enable support for the en_US.UTF-8 locale  in an ARM/
linux 2.6.18 environment, using uClibc-0.9.28.

Using Buildroot, I compiled uClibc after selecting the String and
Stdio Support->Wide Character Support options: "Locale Support, " "Use
Pre-generated Locale Data, "
and "Automatically Download the "Pre-generated Locale Data (if necessary)."

My problem is that I do not have a sense for how the runtime
environment should be configured on the target device so that the
locale support can actually be used by my application.  For instance,
as with glibc, are the LANG and LC_* env vars used? Should
/usr/lib/locale be created to contain the locale data?  If not, where
is the "Pre-generated Locale Data" supposed to reside on the target
device -- or is it actually built into uClibc?   It's all been
documented I'm sure but I've overlooked it somehow.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers to documentation (or other
guidance) on the proper runtime environment for uClibc UTF-8 support.

Thanks,
Todd