NPTL & ARM

Carmelo AMOROSO carmelo.amoroso at st.com
Fri Dec 14 07:46:56 UTC 2007

Will Wagner wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. So I am trying to build uClibc through buildroot
> on arm with nptl.
>
> It fails with this error:
>
> ./libpthread/linuxthreads/sysdeps/arm/pt-machine.h:39: warning: C99
> inline functions are not supported; using GNU89
> ./libpthread/linuxthreads/sysdeps/arm/pt-machine.h:39: warning: to
> disable this warning use -fgnu89-inline or the gnu_inline function
> attribute
> In file included from
> libpthread/linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/errno-loc.c:22:
> ./libpthread/linuxthreads/internals.h:538: warning: C99 inline functions
> are not supported; using GNU89
> libpthread/linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/errno-loc.c:23:27: error:
> sysdep-cancel.h: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [libpthread/linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/errno-loc.os]
> Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/willw/buildroot/toolchain_build_arm/uClibc-0.9.29'
> make: ***
> [/home/willw/buildroot/toolchain_build_arm/uClibc-0.9.29/lib/libc.a]
> Error 2
>

> Looking at uClibc (0.2.29) it does indeed seem that there is no arm
> folder in uClibc-0.9.29\libpthread\linuxthreads\sysdeps\unix\sysv\linux
> which is where sysdep-cancel.h appears it should be located for other
> architectures.
>
> Any help on fixing this would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will.

Hello,
you are not building nptl libpthread, instead you are building new
linuxtthreads, that means old linuxthreads
pthread library with TLS support.
IIRC this is not a complete development.... anyway the patch for ARM
nptl are not yet merged into any
uClibc tree (neither trunk neither branches).
You cna find a patch from Codesourcery for ARM against trunk (r16195) at
the following link:
http://www.codesourcery.com/public/uClibc-0.9.28-csl-nptl-7.patch.gz

Cheers,
Carmelo