futexes, PI and uclibc

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Aug 31 18:50:13 UTC 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007 2:08:31 am Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
> > At this point, it might be easier to just overwrite the current svn tree
> > with the contents of the NPTL branch.  The reason they havent' done it
> > yet is they're not quite sure what regressions that might introduce
> > (somebody has to go through the svn history since the NPTL branch and
> > merge all the important changes into the NPTL branch).
>
> I periodically try to include some changes on trunk within nptl locally
> (especially in case of bugs fixes),
> but, you're right, it seems there isn't currently so much activities on
> uClibc... is is due to summer time? holidays?

Well, so far I'm happy with the 0.9.29 release for everything except sparc.
(I haven't finished configuring m68k or blackfin yet, and I'm just now trying
arm big endian).  I don't use threading much and am not currently building
anything against uClibc that uses it, so I don't have a test case for
threading problems.

Also, tailor gave up the ghost trying to keep my uClibc mercurial repository
up to date from svn, and the script I wrote by hand converts fine but I
haven't finished the updating part (the "what state is each repository in and
how do they correspond" bits turn out to be nontrivial to keep in sync if the
process is interrupted, because telling if svn 131072 corresponds to hg 2236
is non-obvious for something like the uClibc repository which has holes in it
due to busybox/uclibc/buildroot/tinylogin/uClibc++ all being in the same
repository, and don't get me started on branches.)  I haven't had time to
finish that lately, and until I do i'm not going to test a more recent
version than the last release (although I'm looking forward to 0.9.29.1).

I agree with Linus, who considers SVN's slogan "cvs done right" to be a
contradiction in terms:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2199332044603874737

(Yes, I'm trying to index google's tech talks at
http://kernel.org/doc/video.html )

> > It seems like sjhill is maintaining the next release.  (Or at least the
> > primary developer thereof, at the moment.)  Could we bug him for a status
> > report, do you think?
>
> I think Steve is always in listening on the list...

Hey Steve: could you give us a status report on the NPTL merge?  We're
curious.

> >> Our patches have been already sent to Steve for a review/merge work on
> >> June. I'm the responsible for the NPTL port on ST and I'd be happy to
> >> provided some helps for
> >> the merge stuff if required, or discuss about some implementation
> >> choices we did.
> >
> > There hasn't been a whole lot of discussion on this list about any uClibc
> > development recently, and I haven't noticed it on #uclibc on freenode
> > either. It all seems to be happening silently out of tree.  Probably I
> > should look at the other branch...
> >
> > http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/uClibc-nptl/
>
> neither there are being activities on the branch.
> Further, I recently wrote an email to Mike to get news about the plan
> for the merge... still not received a reply.

Mike isn't handling the merge.

If Mike really isn't interested in doing stable releases (or hasn't got time),
I suppose I could cut a 0.9.29.1.  (I just checked and I still have root
access on uclibc.org...)  I'd want to clear it with Mike first, though.  And
I have to get my hg repository up and running so I can see what patches need
backporting.  (And I'd have to go look at the bug list.)

And while I'm at it, I never did finish the 0.9.28->0.9.29 changelog, did I?
Sigh...

> Carmelo
>
> > Rob

Rob