futexes, PI and uclibc

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Aug 30 20:21:16 UTC 2007

On Thursday 30 August 2007 1:37:05 am Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
> Nitin Gupta wrote:

> >> The NPTL branch (which is slated to become 0.9.30) does.  0.9.29
> >> doesn't.
> >>
> >> http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2006/linuxsymposium_procv1-pages-409-420.pdf
> >> http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2006/slides/sjh-ols-2006-presentation.odp
> >
> > Are you guys planning to merge NPTL branch to release 0.9.30?
>
> Thuis is the plan, according to latest mails exchanged with Steve

At this point, it might be easier to just overwrite the current svn tree with
the contents of the NPTL branch.  The reason they havent' done it yet is
they're not quite sure what regressions that might introduce (somebody has to
go through the svn history since the NPTL branch and merge all the important
changes into the NPTL branch).

This would be so much easier if we were using a real source control system
like mercurial, of course.  "hg clone http://sjhill.???/nptl; cd nptl; hg
pull -u uclibc.org/hg/uclibc"...

> > Which
> > architectures will be supported?
> > I remember seeing support for arm/thumb, ppc, mips in various
> > branches/emails.

It seems like sjhill is maintaining the next release.  (Or at least the
primary developer thereof, at the moment.)  Could we bug him for a status
report, do you think?

> Our patches have been already sent to Steve for a review/merge work on
> June. I'm the responsible for the NPTL port on ST and I'd be happy to
> provided some helps for
> the merge stuff if required, or discuss about some implementation
> choices we did.

There hasn't been a whole lot of discussion on this list about any uClibc
development recently, and I haven't noticed it on #uclibc on freenode either.
It all seems to be happening silently out of tree.  Probably I should look at
the other branch...

http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/uClibc-nptl/

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.