Will 'Bi-endian uClibc toolchain' be possible?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Aug 17 01:50:10 UTC 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 3:44:27 am Pradeep Sanchana wrote:
> Hi Khem,
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> >> You have to build uclibc twice.
>
> Are you talking about single Endian multi variant support or bi-endian
> support?
>
> >> I am talking from ARM point of view sh might be
> >>different
>
> If you have build the 'bi-endian' or ' single endian multi variant' ARM
> toolchain,
> kindly let me know the procedure to be followed, to build the same.

Personally, I just built two toolchains and called them armv5l-gcc and
armv5lb-gcc or some such.

Gcc has enough trouble keep track of _one_ set of libraries to link stuff
against, I really don't want to tax the little brain of its path logic trying
to get it to keep track of two of anything.  However, if you did, you'd have
to build uClibc twice (once for each endianness) and install them in the
appropriate places that gcc could find each varient.

Where that would be is a gcc question, not a uClibc question.  Trying to
understand gcc's path logic falls under "things man was not meant to know",
check wikipedia for "Cthulu" before proceeding...

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.